Welcome to Milwaukee Live

Friday, January 23, 2009

Obama has Run in with White House Press Corp

According to reports, when the Politico's Jonathan Martin asked the president about his nominee for deputy secretary of defense, William Lynn, Obama refused to answer, saying he was not there to take questions.

"I came down here to visit. I didn't come down here -- this is what happens. I can't end up visiting you guys and shaking hands if I am going to grilled every time I come down here," the president said.

Pressed further by the Politico reporter about his Pentagon nominee, Obama turned more serious, putting his hand on the reporter's shoulder and staring him in the eye.

"All right, come on" he said, with obvious irritation in his voice. "We will be having a press conference, at which time you can feel free to [ask] questions. Right now, I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself to you guys -- that's all I was trying to do," Politico.com reported.

The situation came to a close when a cameraman in the room interrupted, declaring: "I'd like to say it one more time: 'Mr. President.'"

The nominee in question, William Lynn, is a former lobbyist for defense contractor Raytheon, a pick Obama made in contradiction to his much-heralded anti-lobbying rules. - FOX News

Obama in an apparent attempt to prove he is about change signed an executive order banning lobbyist from serving in his Administration for at least 2 years. Meaning that if you lobbied for a defense contractor, you would have to work somewhere else for at least 2 years before you could work for the Department of Defense. Then he turns around and nominates a lobbyist for a defense contractor to be Deputy Secretary of Defense. "Do as I say, not as I do."

Welcome to the real world Mr. President. You may have lived in a bubble during the election with the media not asking the hard questions, hopfully that is over and you will have to answer these questions now.

By the way, that was a very good question.

No comments: