Welcome to Milwaukee Live

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Specter - Loyal Democrat?

Sen. Arlen Specter (D-Pa.) is flatly denying a report that he pledged to be a 'loyal Democrat' when he talked to President Barack Obama last week about changing parties.

Specter's denial came in an exchange Sunday with the host of NBC's "Meet the Press," David Gregory, who read verbatim from a Wall Street Journal report that quoted Specter as saying to Obama: "I'm a loyal Democrat.I support your agenda." The quotes were attributed to unnamed sources "familiar with the White House."

"You misquote me. I did not say would be a loyal Democrat. I did not say that," Specter told Gregory, somewhat indignantly.

"I did not say, 'I'm a loyal Democrat.' I read once another mistake in a newspaper, some newspaper," Specter said, arching his eyebrows, without elaborating. - Politico Story

No comments: